Town of Baraboo Part-Time Patrolperson
JOB DESCRIPTION – TOWN OF BARABOO PART-TIME PATROLPERSON
TITLE OF POSITION
Town Highway Patrolperson (Part-Time)
Town Board Chairperson, Town Board Supervisors, and Town Patrolperson
POSITION IN BRIEF
This position involves maintenance of Town of Baraboo roads, signs, equipment, lands, and buildings. The employee is expected to perform the job functions in a professional and satisfactory manner. As an employee of town government, the employee is expected to be courteous and safety-minded at all times.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
To perform road maintenance and other miscellaneous repair tasks, in conjunction with other Town of Baraboo employees.
As assigned by the Town Board Chairperson and/or Town Patrolperson.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this classification. These duties are to be understood as neither exclusive nor all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Patrol assigned roads, for the purposes of repairing broken pavement and potholes with paving materials, shoring up road shoulders with additional gravel, inspecting and cleaning culverts and drains, sweeping bridges, and picking up trash and other debris.
- Remove snow and ice from town roads, and apply salt and sand as required.
- Repair and replace missing or damaged road signs, guardrails, and other roadway markers.
- Post seasonal and permanent road weight limits.
- Perform routine maintenance tasks on town equipment, buildings, and lands.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of garage supplies.
- Mow town common areas and road rights-of-way, and trim and remove brush, fallen trees, and other obstructions. Employee must possess the ability to operate chainsaws and other potentially dangerous equipment in a safe manner.
- Contact the Sauk County Sheriff’s Department, Baraboo Area Joint Fire and EMS District, other municipal and county government agencies, and contracted towing companies regarding road closures and/or motorists in distress. Employee may be required to direct traffic.
- Attend training courses, as determined by the Baraboo Town Board and Town Patrolperson.
- Prepare daily time sheets, to be filed with the Town Patrolperson at the conclusion of the workday.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the Town Board Chairperson and Town Patrolperson.
- Keep the Town Board Chairperson and Town Patrolperson informed of any potential or anticipated problems, including maintenance, hazards, and replacement of equipment.
MINIMUM TRAINING & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- High school diploma or equivalent AND one – two years of truck driving / highway equipment operation experience OR any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- A valid Wisconsin Commercial Driver’s License is REQUIRED. This requirement is nonnegotiable.
- Three years of equipment operation experience is preferred.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Employee must possess the ability to:
- Pass state and federal drug and alcohol tests.
- Pass a physical examination, if deemed necessary by the town board.
- Be available on nights, weekends, and holidays during periods of snow, ice, and/or windstorms, as well as all other weather-related emergencies.
- Assemble, copy, record, and transcribe data and other information, following a prescribed plan.
- Compare, count, differentiate, measure, and/or sort data and other information.
- Explain, demonstrate, and/or clarify to other persons following well-established policies, procedures, and standards.
- Follow specific instructions and respond to simple requests.
- Utilize descriptive data and other information, such as regulations, blueprints, time sheets, production reports, sign replacement records, and general operation manuals.
- Communicate effectively with town personnel and the general populace.
- Perform basic math (add, subtract, multiply, and divide).
- Use functional reasoning and development in performing activities with rational systems involving diversified work and requiring exercise of judgement.
- Apply situational reasoning ability by exercising judgement, decisiveness, and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory or judgmental criteria.
- Operate equipment and machinery requiring monitoring of multiple conditions and making multiple complex and rapid adjustments based on input from information from the equipment or machinery.
- Make minor repairs to equipment and machinery.
- Operate dump trucks, end loaders, tractors, shovels, posthole diggers, chainsaws, and mechanic’s tools.
- Exert moderate to heavy physical stress in moderate to heavy physical activity, including, but not limited to, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling.
- Handle lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling physical loads.
- Sustain prolonged visual concentration.
- Stand for extended periods.
- Recognize and identify degrees of similarities or differences between characteristics such as colors, forms, sounds, and odors associated with objects, materials, and ingredients.
- Work in safe and comfortable conditions in regard to varied environmental factors, such as extreme temperature variations, noxious odors, mildly toxic agents, excessive noise, strong vibrations, wetness, or dustiness.
As currently established by the town board, the wages for this position start at $17 – $20 per hour, depending on training and experience at the time of initial employment. Overtime payment of 1.5X base salary will be paid for any time worked in excess of 40 hours per seven-day calendar week, Sunday – Saturday.
The Town of Baraboo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the town will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the Town of Baraboo.
Town Board Chairperson’s Signature